Welcome to Growing Children in Faith at MPC
Children from birth to fifth grade are invited into our fun, supportive, loving, and spiritual environment. We want to share the love of God with children and prepare them for a faith-filled life in Christ.
We offer faith journey stepping stones: nursery care, a worship enrichment and Sunday School experience called Bible BLAST, opportunities to serve others, fellowship, Vacation Bible School, Movin' Up Club for fourth-graders and fifth-graders, and more.
Nursery Care: While parents attend the 9:00 or 10:45 a.m. worship service, babies and toddlers are nurtured and have fun in the nursery with excellent, consistent caregivers.
Bible BLAST: At the 10:45 a.m. worship service, children age three (with independent bathroom skills) to grade five are called to the steps for the Children’s Message with the pastor. Afterwards children and volunteers proceed to our worship enrichment and Sunday School experience called Bible Basics, Learning, And Spiritual Travels. They bring in their own offering to sponsor a Ugandan orphan named Eudence. Then they go to their classrooms by grade. The worship guide tells you where to pick up your children after the service.
- Worship Bulletin: Children are encouraged to pick up their very own worship bulletin from a Welcome Host. They may choose from pre-reader and reader.
- Activity Bag: Children may borrow an activity bag during worship. Look for red and blue bags or ask a Welcome Host for help.
- Yellow Bucket: On the last Sunday of each month, children help with our hunger relief program, Two-Coins-a-Meal. Children pick up yellow buckets from a Welcome Host and later carry them down the center aisle as the congregation fills the buckets with coins.
- First Visit: You are encouraged to attend Children’s Message and the first few minutes of Bible BLAST with your child so they feel comfortable. You’ll be able to meet church staff and volunteers, visit a classroom, and fill out a 2017-2018 Registration Form. Be sure to ask the Children’s Ministry Director for your special welcome pizza box. We look forward to meeting you!
More Faith Journey Stepping Stones
- Preschool: MPC is home to Memorial Presbyterian Preschool – Learn More
- Cathedral Choir: Led by our music director, elementary-age students meet on Wednesday afternoons to rehearse songs for Sunday worship.
- Sacraments Class: Through lessons and crafts in this class held on the last two Sundays in September, second-graders learn about the Presbyterian sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Third-Grader Bibles: A special Bible is presented to third-graders during a 10:45 a.m. worship service in October.
- Acolytes: Children in grades three to twelve are encouraged to serve as candlelighters at the 10:45 a.m. service.
- Movin’ Up Club: This special fellowship group for fourth-graders and fifth-graders meets one Sunday a month to focus on relationships and community service.
- Fifth-Grade Graduates: Growing Children in Faith bridges with Growing Youth in Faith to acknowledge graduating fifth-graders with a special gift one Sunday in June at the 10:45 a.m. service. During the summer, these brand new sixth-graders transition from GCIF to GYIF and mix with other middle-schoolers at fun get-togethers.
- Family Fellowship: Once a month, families with kids of all ages get together to share a meal, activity, and friendly conversation.
- Vacation Bible School: Everyone has an amazing week-long experience as we immerse ourselves in the words and works of God. In June, we welcome students from preschool age three to fifth grade and volunteers from sixth grade to adult.
- Children’s Rainbow Library: The children have their own special place to borrow books and get cozy while they read. We offer many good books, movies, and religious materials. Check out our chapter books and extensive Caldecott collection.